Sunday, June 17, 2007

Down with Love

Am in love again! Someow the feeling was dormant for the last few months. And I realise that love doesn't die. It just needs a spark to revive.

The spark this time was Bandeh by Indian Ocean. I am writing this blog in a train, I have my headphones on, the song is being played repeatedly in Winamp, and my hands are alternating between guitar chords, bass movements, psuedo drumming and typing this blog out. And I realise that I'm getting weird looks from people around me :D

This song is a masterpiece. The best Indian Ocean has done yet, although I'd like to believe that their best isn't out yet. Sushmit's guitar riff has that rock feel to it, unlike his other traditional Indian-folk-ish riffs. The electric overdriven guitar is a supplement to the rock feel. Ram's bass use, as any other Indian ocean song, is mindblowing. Don't know how he manages vocals with the sexy bassline (reminds me of Knopfler). And although Amit hasn't used his signature unconventional, wierdo-cyclic drumbeats as he has done with Maa Reva or Bhor, he has complemented well with subtle-yet-amazing rolls. The way he uses crashes and the impact it creates is superb. And Asheem's Alaap! My god, these guys are some team!

Okay, coming to the non-technical part, the song is an APT-FIT for Black Friday. I soo wished that the song was used somewhere in the movie instead of the Title. This song is one which takes u to a different world. It has the kick. For those who haven't heard Indian Ocean, I would strongly recommend to atleast give an ear to Bandeh, Maa Reva, Kandissa, Bhor, Jhini, Hille le. Or even better, attend a concert! They play pretty often. And, if you know of IO concerts in your city, please inform me. I have attended one, and seems its not enough :)

For the last few days, I'm back into a retro. My playlist consists of the songs We've played as a band in the past. Maa Rewa/Bandeh/Dhoom/Maeri/But it rained/Mama Said/Fade to Black/Nothing else matters/Like a stone/Show me how to live/Day tripper/Zombie/I'm with you/Complicated/Losing my religion/Rape Me/Polly/Love Buzz/When did you sleep last night/Sultans of Swing/Jeremy/Even Flow/Black/Last Kiss/Stairway to Heaven/Californication/Killing in the name of/Times like these/Creep/About a girl/I am mine/Road tripping.... the list goes on!

Why does life always try to drag itself back to the past?? Now... playing these songs, I miss college, I miss my band, and I miss the SAC music room at IITB where we've spent sleepless nights to perfect songs. Although we never tried original compositions, but I'd say that we reproduced well, and we did it with a feel and a passion. It pays back when you see the crowd enjoying it. Original comps is what I want to do next. There's already a song I've written, its waiting for a music team to do the rest. Guess I'll have to wait for a college again. IIMA maybe! :P

Music, or rather, playing good music, has been my love since last 5 years. I don't need liquor to get high, just some good music! I still remember how in first year, I saw a few batchmates playing a guitar, and how when I held her in my arms for the first time, I knew that she is the one, the one who'll make me sing what she wants, the one whose voice will seduce me completely into her curves. I knew I wanted to know her in and out, I know I wanted her for the rest of my life, and I was desperate. I surfed the net for all the rules of making the most of her presence, and although I am nowhere close to the GODS, I am happy that deal with her well enough, and make her realise her beauty. She knows it, and she doesnt disappoint me ever. And and and, I look good with her. :)

"Till death do us apart."

8 comments:

Shraddha said...

Thanks to me!I hope you remember.....

Kris said...

i love indian ocean too!! they rock!!
just one question... what is it that i fail to see in a guitar that all others do?? what is the fascination everybody has with it that i never could relate to?? if i had one wish, i would ask for the answers to these.. :)

Akanksha said...

Boy Oh Boy...so you're a musician n all?! Who knew!

Kabhi kuch sunao yaar...oh almost forgot, uske liye pehle milna padega :)

Strum on buddy...

Shraddha said...

wht jha2!!some credit for your love i deserve na!!

Mayank Jha said...

@ Shraddha: Yeah I remember... Yeah yeah, you deserve the credits for introducing me to Bandeh.

@ Kris: Frankly, I didnt have a childhood fascination for Guitar. I had (and still have it) for drums :D Love for guitar grows as and when u get involved.

@ Akanksha: Yes I am :) Milenge milenge... :)

Proxy said...

Lovely... Boy... its just amazing how you take inspirations from some very small and simple things in life to write such beautiful pieces! Cheers!

Mayank Jha said...

@ Roxy: Thanks! There's a saying which goes: "Its the sweet little things in life which make it worth living." :)

Nitesh said...

Quite expressive as usual!