Tuesday, June 26, 2007

C'est la vie

Life's not fair at times, and I am not saying this with a reference to myself. Bad things happen to good people, and I don't understand why.

I am upset. One of my closest friends, she has not been in a settled state for quite sometime now. Death keeps passing by her, and its happening too often now. I've seen her thru thick and thin, but last few months are just unimaginable. She lost the cousin she was closest to, she lost two of her three pets (one of them yesterday), she lost a friend from college... all in a span of 6 months. I can keep consoling, and try to make her feel better, and tell her that "Such is life", but I know, this isn't fair.

I wish I could be present with her thru these, sadly I'm physically located far from where she is. But, at times I wonder, do I have the strength to face all this? One part is seeing someone close by go thru this pain, and I find that difficult, coz I really don't know how to deal with it, coz touchwood, I didn't have to lose people close to me yet. But the other, tougher and scarier part is, how would I deal with it if times like these come to me?

To this she says: "Mayank, life will teach you how to deal with it."

True. Life, and experience, is the best teacher of all. Sometimes the hard way, sometimes thru others' experiences, it teaches you how to deal with it. Experience is something one can't earn as a degree in a college, and ironically, the M. Exp. which the University of Life offers is the most coveted degree in any area you explore, professionally or personally.

We talk of heartbreaks, job dissatisfaction, academic failures, etc as "pains" in life that we are going thru, and end up cribbing : "Life Sucks!". And when I see life around me, I realise what "pain" life really has the potential to give. A mother losing a young son, a kid who's parents are filing a divorce, a couple not having a heir, an industrialist losing 95% of his property in business loss, parents being ignored by their "its-my-life" obsessed sons and having to reside in old-age homes, couple having a mentally-retarded child, murder of a brother over property - all real life examples around me!

Thank you god, for giving a relatively normal life to me. The pains in my life are insignificant. And I need to be prepared for more.

God bless u Brutus. I miss u.

4 comments:

Shraddha said...

thank you mayank..i miss him too..and don't worry..if i can get thro this..so can u..

Lavanya said...

dude!! rightly said. sometimes we get so immersed in our so called 'pains' that we fail to realize that worse could happen.

Mayank Jha said...

@ Shraddha: I hope so...

@ Lavs: True. Who knew of the Dublin fiasco ;)

Kris said...

its scary... i have never been in such a situation and i have no clue to how i will react if god forbid i am facing one... i guess its a way to teach us how lucky we are to be alive, and how we can make something out of the life we have been given..