Thursday, August 21, 2008

Stop, Think. Act???

Browsing through one of my friend's blog, I got reminded of an incident which happened a couple of days back, about which I wanted to write but was really caught up. So here it goes. This post is dedicated to the little boy who made me stop and think about the people of the country.

The day was the end of midterm exam. Finishing the paper a couple of minutes in advance and to "break-free" from all the chains, I planned to spend the evening at Brigade road with a friend who had dropped down. At Brigade Road, we stopped to have some chaat from a shop over there (I really miss the North Indian chaat). We were having chaat when I find this little boy staring at me. He is shabbily dressed, dark, little torn clothes, which gave me the impression that he belonged to a very poor family. He could probably be a beggar. I give him a look and ignore him, I do not like beggars and I don't encourage beggary either. "Can't these people do something, and protect their ego? Why do they have to ask for money? They are not disabled, they can work. And I can't encourage more of this in the country by handing over some money to them." But this little kid did not beg for anything.

When I finish my chaat and move forward to throw the plate into the dustbin, this boy advances. He looks at me and asks me to stop. He takes the plate from my hand, and starts eating the little remains of dahi (curd), chutney and a piece or two of chhole (gram) from the plate. Complete oblivion and bliss for him, and a state of shock for me. On one hand, I felt good that this boy didn't beg, on the other hand I felt miserable for his condition. Walking off, wondering about the state of destitution in the country, thinking that we despise beggary but people might actually need money, I turn back. I reach the boy, who is still licking my plate and trying to extract the last drops of dahi from the plate. I take out a ten-rupee note from my pocket, take his hand and put it there, telling him, "Beta, kuch khaa lena".

3 comments:

Lavanya said...

A bit of a deviation from your traditional humorous posts, but a good one at that. How old was the boy?

Mayank Jha said...

True...
He must have been 9 or 10 I guess...

Bhagyashree said...

This particular post of yours makes me so sad!! But I wonder how could the 10 yr old protect his ego?? On one hand we discourage child labour on other hand we hate children who beg..